Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Musical Instinct

I just watched an interesting program on PBS -The Musical Instinct. It talked about how music influences us in ways we aren't even aware of, even from before we are born. Every culture has different styles of music, diffent tonal scales, different insturments, but it effects us all in the same way. Researchers have found groups of people who have not been exposed to any kind of music whatsoever in their lives who have responded to happy, sad, and scary music when presented with it in the same way a person would if they'd been around it their entire lives. Beyond that, everything in the universe, whether it's a black hole, a star, the ocean, or the human body, everything has rhythm and pitch. Music is a sort of illustration of how everything, everyone is interconnected with one another.

Music is such a part of my life in many ways - I play the piano, taught myself a little guitar (ok now I don't remember ANY guitar!) and was in the high school choir. I've always adored classical music, and now pretty much enjoy everything but rap. The interesting thing I never gave much thought to until this program - I don't care for angry music at ALL. Possibly because I'm just not an angry person, I simply can't identify with it. I'm not one to get angry, or be angry or hurt more than a couple of minutes. I have to more past it - I'm too happy, optimistic and can only identify with that kind of music. Kind of a neat journey into the personality of ourselves and others is what music affords. :)

So, what's your musical personality? Does the music you listen to reflect your personality?

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting! :)
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete