Friday, April 10, 2009

Lemon Chiffon Pie - lemony heaven!

I made this today - it was supposed to be for Easter, but I got too excited about it. ;) What can I say - it's the foodie in me! This is a recipe Samantha got from the Fannie Farmer cookbook - so thanks to her for giving it to me!

Lemon Chiffon Pie*

1 graham cracker crust
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1/4 C cold water
4 eggs, separated
3/4 C sugar
1/2 C lemon juice (juice of 2 lemons)
2 T grated lemon rind
1/4 tsp salt

*Lemon can easily be replaced by lime, orange, or grapefruit!


Don't these look wonderful? The picture came out a bit darker - my kitchen lights and the white cutting board confuse the camera, I think.

Sprinkle gelatin over cold water in small bowl. Stir and let soften for several minutes.
Put yolks in heavy saucepan and beat well.
Add 1/2 C sugar, lemon juice, rind, and salt.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens.
Remove from heat and stir in gelatin, stirring until dissolved.
Pour mixture into bowl and chill, stirring occasionally until mounds slightly when dropped from spoon.
Beat egg whites til soft peaks form and add 1/4 C sugar til peaks are shiny and stiff.
Fold whites into lemon mixture til blended well.
Spoon filling into pie shell.
Chill several hours or until set.

Here is the result:

Yep, I cheated and bought a premade graham cracker crust. They're so easy to make, and they taste exactly the same. So. . . .why not? ;) It's SO YUMMY! I hope I'll be able to make it till after dinner before I cut into it. ;)

Oh, please excuse the browning bananas in the upper left corner - they will become banana muffins shortly, so stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. I have that cookbook! And I am sooooo excited to share that. LOL.

    Ok...that looks delicious. And I may have to make it soon. There is something about the word "chiffon" that makes me want to talk with my mouth full.

    (Sorry if you're feeling as though this comment thread has turned into "strange confessions by Brenda". LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh that's ok! :) Not so strange, actually. ;) Just getting the hang of posting food blog type things, actually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm. I love that pie.
    I love any lemon pie. Or lime.
    Lemon cake, too.

    I have citrus issues. :D

    ReplyDelete